23 April 2010

Birthday season

I hate to over do the cake thing here, but I am having such fun with this icing and my three layer birthday cakes.
March really starts it all with my son's birthday but it is a distant six weeks from my eldest daughter's.
The baby turns one in May (sniffle) and we have three birthdays in June, including mine. So I consider today's cake the official start of birthday season.
The icing is called Creamy Vanilla Frosting, although we call it Granny Steele frosting. I posted the recipe in an earlier post called Tale of Two Cakes. I've been tweaking the flavor bit by bit. First, using half a vanilla bean in the cooked milk and then, both vanilla extract and vanilla bean.

I have garnished with chocolate curls before

and baby loves chocolate.

Today is my big girl's birthday party and I'm already trying to plan my little girl's party.
I don't dare try to make the same thing in chocolate, as it could be a disaster.

I guess I'll ponder it until the next cake in our birthday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment