05 April 2010

Virginia is for Lovers!

This weekend involved a trip through several towns in Virginia. This door above is one of a number of places that would be great to call home.
Old Town Fredericksburg is a charmer and we ended up spending much of our morning driving and walking through its neighborhoods.
Without knowing what we would find, we headed towards the historic district. That lead us through the neighborhoods by Mary Washington College.
Instead of cruddy student housing we saw houses like the two above.
And these.
When we arrived in the historic district we decide to walk it. It is chock full of history. Like Kenmore Plantation that was home to George Washington's sister Betty.
George was a very good boy. He built this house for his mother, Mary, so she had a home in her old age and a garden to tend. Ferry Farm, his boyhood home is nearby and perhaps the spot of the legendary cherry tree.
The Washington's were busy here. George's brother built the Rising Sun Tavern.
The house next door happened to be for sale. I said to my husband that I have dreamt of living somewhere like this. I stopped to admire it and he struck up a conversation with the owner who happened to be outside. She is the nice lady in the corner of this photo.
It was built in 1907. Of course, my husband charmed his way into a tour of the house. I felt a bit guilty but was glad I got to see it. I did not photograph the inside. It seemed too rude. The back garden was lovely and smelled of boxwood and magnolia, which was in bloom.
The charm was everywhere.
There was not a tiny sniff of the apathy and decay that I have seen in other places.
The grand houses...
are well kept.
Even this more modest row house is cute as a bug's ear.
If you are still not convinced that Fredericksburg is as charming as it gets, let me tell you that this drugstore actually has an old-fashioned lunch counter. It comes complete with stools that spin and a Coca-cola fountain.

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to fredericksburg but I really need to visit -especially now! Just Beautiful! You're so lucky that you toured the inside of that house too!
    I especially love the white Victorian house with the front porch and bay windows- so charming!

    ReplyDelete