04 October 2011

Fall mantel

This is my mantel decor--for now. I am sorry but I'm just not feeling the pumpkins and gourds this year.
On the far left is one of my favorite possessions with a story. My great-grandmother grew up in a small village outside of London at the turn of the century. Nearby was a hunting lodge, on the grounds of Swakeleys, that had been built by Queen Elizabeth I and my Granny was friends with the caretaker. During some renovations some sort of cupboard was exposed and that Jacobean candlestick was on it. It was a farewell gift to her upon her leaving for America to marry.
The plate was made by a friend of the family in a classic Japanese horse eye pattern. I love the crack in it.
The painting was an Etsy buy by fabulous artist, Sally Kelly.
I also have a vase of rhododendron braches and a landscape that I made the other day when I was bored. It is inspired by a drive in the country near Culpeper, Virginia
I think the pumpkins will have to reside on the front porch this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment